Monday, February 8, 2010

Ryan's Grandmother


Last Wednesday, February 3, 2010, Ryan's grandmother, Louise Clack, lost her battle with cancer. While we are all sad that she is no longer here we take comfort in knowing that she is no longer in pain and is up in heaven with her husband of 62 years.

The funeral was this past Saturday. Ryan's brother, Denver and his wife Laurie flew in for the funeral on Friday afternoon. We drove to Abilene Saturday morning for the viewing which was followed by the graveside funeral. The pastor who did the service was wonderful ~ he really captured Grandma Clack's life in his sermon reading her favourite Bible verse - Psalm 23.


Psalm 23
"The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil, for you are with me;
your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table for me in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and love with follow me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever."


He ended the service by talking through Ecclesiastes 3 which talks about a time for everything.

Ecclesiastes 3

"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven:
a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,
a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace..."

Again, it was a wonderful service that really celebrated her life and accomplishments and her dedication to the church. While it wasn't the best circumstance, it was also nice to get to see all of the extended family especially the cousins and all of their kids.

After the service we talked with some of Ryan's cousins about getting together at another time for a family reunion where we could get all of the kids together for an afternoon.

After we left, we went over to the nursing home so that Ryan could visit his grandfather (his Dad's father) before we left.

Then we drove home to Dallas, picked up the kids from my parent's house, and spent that evening and the next day with Denver and Laurie and Ryan's parents.


No comments: