Monday, May 4, 2009

Cutting Down our Big Trees

If you are a big tree
We are a small axe
Ready to cut you down
To cut you down
~ Small axe by Bob Marley

















It was a sad day at our house today. We had a tree service come and cut down both of the huge Raywood Ash trees that were in front of our house. They were BEAUTIFUL trees that provided a lot of shade and cover to the front of our house but they were planted too close to the house and have been causing a lot of foundation problems. Our foundation guy told us that he could fix the foundation but if we didn't cut down the trees that the roots would still give us problems and he'd have to come back out in a year or so and fix the foundation again.

All that being said, we understood that they had to come down but it didn't make the decision any easier. They really added charactor and a "lived in" look to the house. We really did love those trees. In fact, when the guys came this morning to cut them down I almost sent them home and as each tree fell a sense of sadness came over me.

I am happy though that my dad is a woodworker. I saved all of the large sections of the tree and my dad said that he would turn them on his lathe. He'll make me a couple of bowls, a vase or two, and some other items out of my grand ole trees. We'll also use some of it for firewood for next winter.

Here are some random pictures of our house with the trees and some pictures that I took today as the trees came down.


































No comments: